Warm weather is upon us and summer is right around the corner! Some important reminders for working outdoors in the heat:
- Drink plenty of water or sports drinks – avoid soda.
- Wear a hat, sunscreen and sunglasses.
- Wear loose fitting, light colored, lightweight clothing.
- Use a fan and take occasional breaks, preferably in the shade.
- Recognize the symptoms of heat stress – headaches, dizziness, clammy skin – and how to respond: move he/she to the shade, provide water, and call 911.
Several solid waste workers have died on the job because of heat related health complications. Don’t let it happen to you or your employees!