Injuries involving machinery and equipment often result in death or permanent disability. Unguarded or inadequately guarded machinery and equipment, along with exposure to hazardous energy during servicing and maintenance activities, create serious hazards in many workplaces.
Any of the following operations could result in injury or even death:
- Regular operation
- Setup/threading/preparation for regular operation
- Clearing jams or upset conditions
- Making running adjustments while the machine is operating
- Cleaning the machine
- Oiling or greasing of the machine or machine pans
- Scheduled/unscheduled maintenance
Operation of unguarded or inadequately machinery and equipment can be extremely dangerous, always verify proper guards are in place and follow lockout/tagout procedures. Be careful!