There are many factors that can make this time of year more dangerous for the waste collection worker.
- Waste Collection schedules are shortened due to Christmas and the New Year’s Day falling weekdays leading to a rushed working pace.
- Complexity of the Work Environment.
- Hurried Pace.
- Bad Weather.
- Your mind is not focused on the job.
- The amount of waste being collected is greater than at other times of the year.
- There are large and non-routine items in the collection stream. (Christmas Trees, Large Boxes, etc.)
Have a plan, take a deep breath and resist the urge to rush. Start the day knowing there will be challenges and plan ahead to alleviate hurrying. Stay focused, get enough sleep, eat well, and stay hydrated. Consult your company’s Employee Assistance Program if you feel stress or distractions in your personal life.